Is it required to fill US tax returns for selling company issued stocks?

POSTED BY Sambaran Mitra ON March 18, 2013 4:25 pm COMMENTS (2)

Many US based MNCs in India issue stocks to employees through multiple vehicles (ESOP, RSU, SPP).

When encashing these stock options, is it necessary to file income tax returns in US? Assume the employee has never been resident of United States.


  1. No you dont have to . When you encash the options/RSU etc , the money you get is after the tax . In some cases ,you even get back the tax amount if the country (US etc) have the double tax treaty with india , but that would require filling up some form and some formalities .

  2. Dear Sambaran, Please contact BanyanFA here in the forum, who is the person who can answer your query properly.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed .